Monday 18 August 2014

Sunday 17th August



Another fairly quiet afternoon, with only about 20 visitors. Sandra came by to look at the Dovecote on her way to visit the hospital. Seeing the exhibition she started telling me about the circumstances which brought her to Moseley in the mid 60s. I asked her if she minded if I wrote her story down. Here it is:

" I came to Moseley in 1966 to stay at the Home for Unmarried Mothers in Belle Walk, just off Wake Green Road. In those days it was real taboo and not spoken about. I was very innocent and knew nothing - I was 17 and was nearly 7 months gone before I even realised I was pregnant.

I had my baby in Marston Green Hospital. I had no visitors. I had even bought a 'wedding ring' from Woolworths to wear, but it turned green on my finger!

I had to fight very hard to keep my son - lots of the other girls in the home were separated from their babies when they were adopted. My father was a real tyrant and I had to be strong to go against him. My older brother helped me and allowed me to stay with him. I had a bedroom in the attic. When my son could go to nursery I was able to work and got a little flat.

I eventually had 4 sons and I now have 6 grandchildren. I'm so glad attitudes have changed today."


No comments:

Post a Comment